Regional Workshops Scheduled
The Department of Family Services regional workshops have been scheduled. Click here to see a schedule. Registration and class information will be available soon.
Pathways to Professional Development
Pathways 1 Class to Begin in January 2013
What is Pathways?
The WY Quality Counts Program at the Department of Workforce Services is sponsoring a fourth opportunity to participate in the Pathways for Professional Development program. WY Quality Counts contracts with the Wyoming Children’s Action Alliance to coordinate this training program.
The Pathways program has three modules: Certificate I, Certificate II and Credential I. Each level consists of 40 hours of instruction using a quality curriculum, taught by highly qualified individuals. The modules build from one to the next. Individuals participating in the program must successfully complete the previous module before moving on to the next one. The program matches the educational requirements for a CDA so that individuals wishing to obtain that certification can use the educational hours to support their CDA application upon completion of all three classes.
How will the Pathways classes happen?
Approved instructors at the community level will deliver the class. Five classes will be taught across Wyoming. Two things will determine the specific locations: the number of child care providers in a specific location who apply to participate in a class (a minimum of 6 are required) and the availability of an instructor in or near the community in which providers have indicated an interest.
We Are Looking for Child Care Providers!
We are looking for child care providers who want to participate in an interactive learning class. The class is for providers at the entry level professionally who have a high school diploma or GED but do not have a CDA certificate, Apprenticeship certificate, college degree or other certification. A $25 registration fee is required to apply for the program. If a class does not form in your community or if you do not qualify for the program your money will be refunded.
The class will provide:
- All required textbooks free of charge
- 40 hours of high quality basic knowledge and skills training
- 40 hours of training that will qualify toward a CDA credential
- Upon successful completion of the class with a grade of C or better STARS will award 40 clock hours of training credit to the participant. Partial credit is not available.
- This session of Certificate I class will begin in January 2013 and may run through mid-May 2013 depending on the community schedule.
What Do I Need to Do?
You need to:
- Commit to complete the 40-hour training course, which will be scheduled during evening and weekend hours.
- Register between now and midnight on November 24, 2012.
- Provide a $25 registration fee. If a class does not form in your community your application fee will be refunded.
- Regularly attend the class.
- Complete the homework assignments.
- Complete the class evaluation mid-way through the class.
- Complete the instructor evaluation the final time the class meets.
Since each segment of Pathways is a 40-hour class taught evenings and weekends, the class may be taught in two-hour segments. WCAA is recommending that the first class be a two-hour class to make sure that all participants get their textbooks, materials and the class schedule for the community before homework assignments are expected. The remaining classes can happen on a schedule designed by the participants and their instructors including four, six or eight hour classes.
If you have questions call and speak with Deanna Frey or Rose Kor.
Wyoming Children’s Action Alliance
3116 Old Faithful Road, Suite 100
Cheyenne, WY 82001